· Built 1976 (to replace original 1924 building at
· Renovation designed by KKE Architects; re-opening
· One level; 15,000 sq. ft.
· Parking lot entered from
A complete renovation of East Lake Library was completed with a grand re-opening on March 3, 2007. The refurbishing of the entire area is spurred on by the Hiawatha Line LRT, which began service in June 2004.The library's renovation and expansion will ensure that it continues to enhance life within this vibrant and dynamic community for generations to come.
· More DVDs, CDs, audio books, and World Language materials; theme-oriented collections reflecting the community needs and interests
· 85+ places to sit, including table and counter seating and comfortable chairs
· 30+ public computers; wireless capability
· Self-service express checkout and express pickup of reserves
· Fun, specially designed areas for toddlers, youngsters, and families.
· Expanded Homework Hub area and a place for teens
· Business & Career center
· Quiet areas with comfortable seating
· New, service desk positioned for better sight lines and service
· New multipurpose room designed for maximum flexibility and use
Local artist Zoran Mojsilov was commissioned by Minneapolis Public Library to create a large-scale sculpture that will reside within the rain garden. Entitled “Zoomorphy,” the work will be comprised of granite and steel, and suggests a mythical beast, a dinosaur,
or a rolling landscape.