Walker Library opened in 1981 to replace the original branch built in 1911 on land donated by T. B. Walker, a businessman and art collector who served for 33 years on the Minneapolis Library Board and was its first President.
Located across the street from the old library (which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission's list of historic places) the current Walker Library was built below ground level to maximize space and conserve energy. A plaza and parking deck are at grade level, and a sunken courtyard brings natural light to the main level underground.
· Built 1981
· Two underground levels (lower level one contains the meeting room; lower level two is the library
· 18,500 sq. ft.; parking lot entered from
Imaginative mural in children's area.
Strong travel section.