A grand piano in a soundproofed room at Minneapolis Central Library is available by reservation for patrons who wish to play the piano. The room can be reserved up to one hour at a time by users 18 or older (or a parent or guardian may reserve it for a child.)
Reservations can be made online
The piano is a Mason & Hamlin seven-foot grand piano that was donated to the library in 1946 by the Oberhoffer estate. Emil Oberhoffer was the founder, in 1903, and first music director of the Minneapolis Symphony, now the Minnesota Orchestra.
A generous donation from the Anna M. Heilmaier Foundation was given to the Library Foundation of Hennepin County’s capital campaign in support of the piano room. Ms. Heilmaier was a research librarian who established a Foundation at US Bank dedicated to chamber and classical music programs at the professional level and to fostering emerging talent.