- Follow your family rules for using the Internet.
- Ask an adult before you register for something or enter a contest online.
- Use a screen name on IM (instant messaging). Don't use your real name.
- Keep your password a secret. Don't even tell it to your best friend.
- Never put your photo on the Internet unless you have permission from your parents.
- Don't be an online bully. It's not ok to write mean things about people on the Internet.
You can get in trouble! Tell an adult if you get bullied online.
Learn how to make cyberbullying stop.
- Don't stay online if someone or something makes you feel uncomfortable.
- Never agree to get together with someone you meet on the Internet.
- Before you download anything on a computer, ask an adult. Some files can harm your computer.
- If you see something online that you know is not right, tell an adult.
Remember: It's easy for people online to pretend to be someone different than they really are.
Some information you'll find online is NOT true!
Grownups: Find more resources about online safety selected by Hennepin County librarians.
updated October 2011