Lead Book Clubs for Kids & Teens
Why Have a Book Club?
Selecting Your Group
- Choose books you've read and liked.
- Consider the interests and reading levels of kids in the group.
- Select book themes that are age-appropriate.
- Ask for group input on books that sound appealing.
- Match the length of the book to the time available to read it.
- Choose a mix of lighter and heavier themes.
- Introduce books with diverse main characters to stimulate discussions.
- Include historical fiction, science fiction, mystery, biography, and nonfiction. Try a graphic novel or comic book. Look for stories with both male and female characters.
- Mix older and newer titles. Older titles may be more available at the library.
- Check out KidLinks and TeenLinks websites for lists of great books.
- Plan ahead to reserve library book copies.