Book Club Kits
Into the Wild
by Krakauer, Jon
Print this page
Email this list
1. What is Krakauer's role in McCandless' story? Why does he include his own personal experiences?
2. How would you characterize Chris' trip to Alaska? An escape? A search? A quest? How do you think he thought of his trip?
3. Do you consider McCandless heroic? In what sense? Does his death make him more or less heroic for you?
4. How does Chris' family cope with the choices Chris made?
5. Why do you think some people are driven to engage in what seems like reckless behavior to others? Have you ever contemplated an adventure like the one Chris had?
6. Why does Chris give himself a new name? What does the name mean for him?