Book Club Kits
The News from Paraguay
by Tuck, Lily
Print this page
Email this list
1. What makes Ella decide to follow Franco to Paraguay?
2. Why does Ella have such a strong connection to Mathilde, her horse? Does she have this kind of passion for anyone else?
3. How does Ella respond to the death of her children? Does the rest of the violence happening around her make these losses any easier?
4. Compare Ella to other well-known women partnered with national leaders (Imelda Marcos, Eva Peron, etc.) Do you think these women have some traits in common?
5. Was Franco a good leader for Paraguay? What were his successes? Where did he fail his country?
6. At the end of the novel, Ella returns to Paris where she lives in poverty. As she looks back at her life, do you think she is satisfied with what she had? Does she have any regrets?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides