Book Club Kits
Nickel and Dimed: On (not) Getting by in America
by Ehrenreich, Barbara
Print this page
Email this list
1. Did this book change your opinion about low-wage jobs and their role in the economy? What did you learn about these types of jobs from Ehrenreich's descriptions of her work day?
2. Have you ever worked at jobs like the ones Ehrenreich has in the book? Have you supported a family on the income from a low-wage job?
3. What were the biggest struggles Ehrenreich faced in her different jobs? Was anything easier than she thought it would be?
4. Ehrenreich's background is different from that of many of the people she meets. How does her perspective affect her impressions of her coworkers and the choices she makes throughout the book?
5. "Nickel and Dimed" takes place in 1998-2000. How have conditions for low-wage workers changed since the book was written?
6. How does your work experience shape who you are? How would the author be different if she worked at "The Maids" instead of her current position?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides