Book Club Kits
by Roers, Walter J.
Print this page
Email this list
1. "The Pact" is set in Minneapolis, and Roers grew up in the Twin Cities. How did the local setting impact your reading of the book?
2. "The Pact" takes place in the 1940s. How would the story be different if it were set in the present? Would life for Ron, Mike and Ricky be different?
3. How does Pat's alcoholism affect his family? Each member of the family responds differently to what's happening; which person's response did you relate to the most?
4. Ricky's family is also hiding a secret. Do you think this is what draws Ricky and Mike together? How were they able to support one another?
5. What is the impact of the pact the boys make? Do you understand why they made the pact? Were the consequences what they expected?
6. Do you think Roers captures what it's like to be a young boy? Was he able to make his characters real for you?