Book Club Kits
The Sea the Sea
by Murdoch, Iris
Print this page
Email this list
1. Why do you think Iris Murdoch set this novel in a house like Shruff End, on an isolated seacoast? How do the location and the house set the tone for the story?
2. How is Charles reflected in his relationships with Hartley, Lizzie and Rosina? Is he the same man with each of these women?
3. Charles leaves London to write a memoir about his relationship with Clement Makin. Why do you think Murdoch doesn't have him complete this story?
4. What role does James play in the story? What is his appeal for Charles?
5. Do you think any of the couples in "The Sea, The Sea" could be considered happy?
6. What role does Titian's "Perseus and Andromeda" play in the story? Were you familiar with this painting before you read "The Sea, The Sea?"
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides