Book Club Kits
Breath Eyes Memory
by Danticat, Edwidge
Print this page
Email this list
1. Why was Sophie sent to America to live with her mother? How would her life had been different if she'd stayed in Haiti?
2. Do you think Martine and Sophie's experience as immigrants is typical of the immigrant experience in America?
3. How did the rape shape Martine's life? How did it shape Sophie's life?
4. "Breath, Eyes, Memory" is set during a turbulent time in Haiti's history. How did this setting affect the story?
5. How does Sophie's return to Haiti change her? Did she need to return to Haiti and her family there to make these changes?
6. What does Sophie learn from Grandmother Ife, and from Atie?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides