Book Club Kits
The Sound and the Fury
by Faulkner, William
Print this page
Email this list
1. What is the meaning of the title? Why did Faulkner choose it for this novel?
2. How does the Compson family view Caddy? Do you think their impressions of her provide an accurate picture of who she was? Why didn't Faulkner let her tell her own story?
3. Why does Quentin decide to commit suicide? How did his death affect his family?
4. What role do Dilsey and her family play in the story? How is her family similar to the Compson family? How is it different?
5. What do you think Faulkner wants readers to think about families and family relationships after reading "The Sound and the Fury?"
6. Faulkner wrote the story as a stream of consciousness, and also changed the time frames of the narrators. How did these writing techniques help Faulkner establish each character?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides