Book Club Kits
by Anderson, Laurie Halse
Print this page
Email this list
1. Why is this book entitled Speak? How is the theme of self-expression important to Melinda's story?
2. How did Mr. Freeman's art class help Melinda deal with the trauma she experienced?
3. What did you think of Heather? What were some of her strengths? Her weaknesses? Why did Melinda spend time with her? Were Melinda and Heather ever really friends?
4. How do you think Melinda should have reacted when she found out Rachel was going to prom with Andy?
5. Discuss Melinda's relationship with her parents. What problems was Melinda's family experiencing? Could Melinda's parents have been more helpful to her?
6. If you were Melinda's friend, would you encourage Melinda to seek help to deal with the aftermath of the rape? If so, what would you recommend that she do?
7. Did you think this book was funny? If so, give some examples of what you found humorous. Were you surprised that a book about a topic as serious as rape could also be funny?
8. What do you think Melinda's life will be like a year after the book ends?