Book Club Kits
by Donoghue, Emma,
Print this page
Email this list
1. "Slammerkin" is based on the true story of a girl who killed her employer in 1763. Does knowing this was based on a true story change the way you think about the book?
2. Mary Saunders isn't an especially likeable character. Did you find it hard to read about a character you may not have liked?
3. Is Mary's story unique to her historical time period or could the author have set the book in the present day? How much of what happens to Mary comes from the circumstances of her birth and upbringing?
4. What drove Mary to kill? Could you understand her decision?
5. Discuss the role prostitution plays in this story. How does being a prostitute affect Mary's relationships with the other characters?
6. When does Mary's downfall begin? Is there a point in the story where you think she could no longer turn her life around?
|Additional discussion questions from: