Book Club Kits
by Wittlinger, Ellen
Print this page
Email this list
1. Compare Marisol and John. What do they have in common? How are they different? How do they become friends despite these differences?
2. Describe how questions of identity are important to Marisol. How do her ethnicity and sexuality affect how she views herself and relates to others?
3. Why are zines so important to Marison and John? How do they use their zines to express themselves and make sense of their worlds?
4. Describe John's relationship with his parents. Why is he angry at them? Why does he think his mother hates him?
5. Why does John ask Marisol to the prom? Why does she say 'yes?" What goes wrong? Why is the prom so important to some teens?
6. How does Marisol's sexuality affect her relationship with John? Why did John fall in love with Marisol, even though he knew she was a lesbian?
7. How is John transformed by his friendship with Marisol? Do you think teens are more influenced by their friends than adults are?