Book Club Kits
by Cunningham, Michael
Print this page
Email this list
1. In "The Hours" Cunningham creates three strong female characters with distinct stories: Laura, Clarissa and Virginia. Which character did you find most interesting and why?
2. Death--the possibility and reality of it--is a central theme in "The Hours." How do each of the characters view death? Why do some choose suicide?
3. How did Richard's childhood experiences impact his adult choices?
4. What is the meaning of the title of the book "The Hours"? Does the title have a different meaning for each character?
5. If you have read "Mrs. Dalloway" by Virginia Woolf, how do you think it relates to this novel? What connections do you see between the books?
6. "The Hours" has been made into a movie. How well do you think it reflects Cunningham's novel?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides