Book Club Kits
My Detachment: A Memoir
by Kidder, Tracy
Print this page
Email this list
1. Discuss Kidder's motivation for joining ROTC even though he opposed the war. What does this inconsistency reveal about his character? How does it affect his experience in Vietnam?
2. Consider the various meanings of "detachment." How does the title illuminate the author's perspective on war?
3. What does this book reveal about class? How does Kidder's social and educational background compare with that of the men he commands? How does it impact the relationships he makes?
4. Does this book change the way you think about the Vietnam War or about war in general?
5. How does this book utilize humor? What tone is set by the author's use of humor?
6. Discuss the absence of traditional heroes in this war story. What do you think is Kidder's purpose in departing from this conventional view of heroism?
7. How does this book compare to other "coming-of-age" stories that you have read? In what ways does this book comment on the process of becoming an adult?