Book Club Kits
Water for Elephants
by Gruen, Sara
Print this page
Email this list
1. Who does the opening quote: I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephants faithful ---one hundred percent refer to?
2. How does Jacobs recounting of his young life after his parents deaths and his entering the Benzini Circus, contribute to our understanding of the many life choices he makes?
3. Do Uncle Als and Augusts positions and money make them more assertive and unhappy? Or, are they simply aggressive personalities that take charge during the Depression and difficult circumstances?
4. What traits do Walter, Marlena and Camel have in common?
5. What causes Marlena and Jacobs relationship to grow and develop?
6. How does Rosie let us see the best and the worst of all she encounters?
7. The reader first meets Jacob when he is ninety or ninety-three and he is recalling life as it was in the Benzini Circus. In the book, Jacob describes what it is like to be left by a loving partner of almost 70 years. What gives him hope again?