Book Club Kits
by Oppel, Kenneth
Print this page
Email this list
1. In what ways is Matt's world similar to and different from our world? Does the book feel modern or old-fashioned? Why?
2. Do Captain Rideau and the staff of the Aurora respect and like Matt at the beginning of the book? How do their opinions change over time?
3. Matt believes that if he had money, he could achieve his dream to be an airship captain. Does having money allow Kate and Bruce to fulfill their dreams?
4. Should the captain have allowed the pirates to board the Aurora and search the passengers' rooms. What might have happened if he had refused?
5. What was the most unique part of the book for you?
6. Matt, Kate and Miss Simpkins have very different reactions to being shipwrecked on a deserted island. How would you have reacted?
7. If you were Matt, would you have returned to the jungle with Kate to photograph and collect the skeleton?
8. Kate is very enthusiastic about everything she does. How does that lead to trouble? Is enthusiasm a good trait or a bad trait?
9. When Matt gives Chef Vlad the sleeping drug, he wonders if the chef is "completely cuckoo after all." What do you think? What makes Chef Vlad a memorable character?
10. What is Matt's first thought when he sees Szpirglas fall? Why?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Study Guide from Kenneth Oppel's Website