Book Club Kits
City of the Beasts
by Allende, Isabel
Print this page
Email this list
1. Did you like this book? Why or why not?
2. Alex is reluctant to go to the Amazon with his grandmother. Would you be reluctant, too, or would you welcome the adventure?
3. Do you believe that the Beast could exist in reality? Why or why not?
4. Who is your favorite character in this book? Your least favorite?
5. Does Alex adjust well to life in the Amazon? How would you adjust if you were on this expedition?
6. At some point in the book, the story turns from realism to "magical realism." Even though there were supernatural events in the book, did it seem realistic to you?
7. If you saw the Beasts like Alex and Nadia do, would you tell anyone, or would you keep it to yourself?
8. Were you surprised by who turned out to be the "bad guys" in this book? Why or why not?
9. How has Alex changed by the end of this book?
10. Alex and Nadia are reunited in the next book of the series, Kingdom of the Golden Dragon. Do you want to read the next book? Why or why not?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Publisher's reading guide