Book Club Kits
House of Sand and Fog
by Dubus, Andre
Print this page
Email this list
1. Did you sympathize more with Colonel Behrani or Kathy Nicolo? Did your feelings for the characters change as you read the novel?
2. Why is Kathy so reluctant to tell her family about what has happened to her marriage and to the house?
3. Colonel Behrani had purchased the house, but Kathy didn't believe it should have been sold. Who do you think actually owned the house?
4. What did you think about Kathy's relationship with Lester? How would Kathy's life have been different if she hadn't met him? Would she have pursued the house for so long if she hadn't become involved with him?
5. Do you think the Behrani's are a typical immigrant family? How does their experience as immigrants impact their decisions? Does it explain Colonel Behrani's desire to have a home for his family?
6. Over the course of the novel Nadereh and Kathy develop a relationship despite the difficult issues between them. Why do you think they were able to bridge the gap between them? How did their relationship impact the course of the story?
7. What does the "House of Sand and Fog" refer to in the title of the novel?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides