Book Club Kits
Tangled Threads : a Hmong Girl's Story
by Shea, Pegi Deitz
Print this page
Email this list
1. Why are Mai and her grandmother refugees? What are some of the hardships they have endured?
2. How does Mai's life improve when she moves to America? How does it become more difficult?
3. What does Mai admire about her cousins Heather and Lisa? What troubles her about their behavior?
4. Discuss the different ways Heather and Lisa react to having a traditional Hmong marriage.
5. Why does Mai's grandmother resist coming to America? Why is she unhappy in America? What does she mean when she says "Here, it is hard to live the Hmong way. And I don't know how to be anything else."
6. What elements of Hmong culture and values do you think Mai should try to hang on to as she adjusts to life as an American?
7. Do you have family obligations that ever conflict with your social or school life? How do you handle this?
8. Describe the significance of pa'ndau in Mai's life.