Book Club Kits
by Stratton, Allan
Print this page
Email this list
1. What assumptions did you have about Africa, specifically sub-saharan Africa, before you started reading the novel?
2. After finishing the book, how did your initial assumptions differ from your current views?
3. What initially grabbed your interest in the book?
4. What details helped you understand Chanda and her actions and reactions?
5. What characters did you find sympathetic? Why? What characters did you respect? Why?
6. What do you were the motivations of the main characters? How could you tell?
7. What did you think about Mrs. Tafa? (Her personality and character) Who did you respect the most and who do you think showed the most courage?
8. What effects do shame and secrets have on the characters? How did the shame and secrecy make things worse for everyone? For example, on their ability and williness to help one another?
9. How does poverty impact the people?
10. How big of a part did pride and loyalty play in the story? How important is pride and loyalty to you?