Book Club Kits
Your Oasis on Flame Lake
by Landvik, Lorna
Print this page
Email this list
1. Why do you think Landvik has written this book from several perspectives? Do you find it easy to follow the action, or does the multi-narrator format take getting used to?
2. With which characters do you most closely identify? How would you describe each of the main characters in this story?
3. Why do you think the author chose Darcy as the narrator representing the younger generation?
4. There are two people having affairs in this novel: Sergio (with Noreen) and Devera (with Professor Gerhart). How do their affairs differ, and how are they same?
5. Other cultures think Americans overreact when it comes to human sexuality and extramarital affairs. Are Americans too straight-laced?
6. What would you do if you found out a married friend of yours was planning to have an affair? Would you try to talk the friend out of it? Would you tell the spouse?
7. Why does Franny choose to tell her stepfather that she's started menstruating rather than her mother?
8. BiDi wears form-fitting clothes to flaunt her body and considers flirting a recreational sport. What do you think of her behavior?
9. Do you see BiDi as a shallow character? How does having the baby change her character? Is she heading for a redemption of some kind?
10. What do you think went through Darcy's mind when she saw her mother, crouched under the table, in the midst of a severe panic attack?