Book Club Kits
The View from Mount Joy
by Landvik, Lorna
Print this page
Email this list
1. Where does the title of the novel come from? In what ways is that scene, which occurs about midway through the book, emblematic of the novel and the relationship between Joe and Kristi?
2. Does Kristi take advantage of Joe in their relationship, or is it the other way around?
3. Are Joes relationships with women, excepting Darva and Jenny, really that different from Kristis with the men in her life? Isnt he guilty of using women selfishly just as she uses men?
4. Is Joe a coward for quitting hockey after his college injury? What does that decision say about his character, and are there other times in the novel that Joe makes a similar decision?
5. What is the bond between Kristi and Joe that connects them over the course of so many years? Is it only sex, or something more? Compare this bond to that existing between Joe and Darva.
6. Why dont Darva and Joe ever become a couple? Do you believe their protests that they are really not interested in each other beyond friendship?
7. Why do you think that Kristi grows up into the kind of woman she becomes? Is anyone or anything responsible? Is she a bad person?
8. Have you ever known anyone like Kristi? Can such people change?
9. Is Kristi happy? Does it bother you that Kristi seems to end the novel on a note of triumph? Or is it triumph?
10. How are the characters of Mount Joy influenced by their families?