Book Club Kits
The Last Communist Virgin
by Wang Ping
Print this page
Email this list
1. What are the books main themes?
2. Did the book change your views about China and the Chinese people?
3. How has the author tied the seven stories together? Do all of the stories work well as part of a collection?
4. Who is your favorite character, and why? What characters did you find hard to like, and are there any for whom your feelings changed as an individual story or stories developed?
5. The author is also a writer of poetry. In what ways is her poetic voice present in the stories?
6. What role does humor play in the stories? What parts of the collection made you laugh or smile?
7. What struck you as most sad or disturbing when reading the book?
8. What surprises did you experience in reading the stories?
9. The collection was edited and set to go to press when the author received the inspiration for the final story, Maverick. What is the significance of the final story, and why do you think the author felt compelled to end her collection with it?
10. How are the challenges of writing a collection of short stories different from those of writing a novel? Which would you find easier to write?
|Additional discussion questions from:
The Friends of the St. Paul Library