Book Club Kits
A Place Where the Sea Remembers
by Benitez, Sandra
Print this page
Email this list
1. How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to "get into it"? How did you feel reading it--amused, sad, disturbed, confused, bored...?
2. Describe the main characters and their personality traits? What motivates them to do what they do? Are their actions justified? Do you admire them? Do any remind you of people you know?
3. Do the main characters change by the end of the book? Do they grow, or come to learn something about themselves and how the world works?
4. Is the plot engaging--does the story interest you? Is this a plot-driven book: a fast-paced page-turner?
5. Talk about the book's structure. Is it a continuous story...or interlocking short stories? Does the timeline more forward chronologically...or back and forth between past and present?
6. What main ideas or themes does the author explore?
7. What passages strike you as insightful, even profound? Perhaps a bit of dialog that's funny or poignant...or encapsulates a character?
8. Is the ending satisfying? If not, how would you change it?
9. If you could ask the author a question, what would it be? Have you read the writer's other books? If so, how does this book compare.
10. Has this novel changed you or broadened your perspective? Have you learned something new or been exposed to different ideas about people or a certain part of the world?
|Additional discussion questions from: