Book Club Kits
The Hunger Games
by Collins, Suzanne
Print this page
Email this list
1. How does Katniss feel about the country of Panem? Why does she need to make her face an indifferent mask and be careful what she says in public?
2. How does the fact that the tributes are always on camera affect their behavior from the time they are chosen? Does it make it easier or harder for them to accept their fate? How are the career tributes different from the others?
3. Before the Games start, Peeta tells Katniss, &I want to die as myself&I dont want them to change me in there. Turn me into some kind of monster that Im not. What does this tell you about Peeta? What does he fear more than death? Is he able to stay true to himself during the Games?
4. What makes Katniss and Rue trust each other to become partners? What does Katniss gain from this friendship besides companionship? Is Katniss and Rues partnership formed for different reasons than the other groups?
5. When does Katniss first realize that Peeta does care for her and is trying to keep her alive? When does she realize her own feelings for him? Did Haymitch think all along that he could keep them both alive by stressing the love story? Are they actually in love?
6. Reality TV has been a part of the entertainment world since the early days of television (with shows such as Candid Camera and the Miss America Pageant), but in the 21st century there has been a tremendous growth of competitive shows and survival shows. Discuss this phenomenon with respect to The Hunger Games. What other aspects of our popular culture do you see reflected in this story?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides