Book Club Kits
The Tale of Halcyon Crane
by Webb, Wendy
Print this page
Email this list
1. Hallie's father talks about seeing Madlyn at the nursing home the day before he died. Do you think he really saw her spirit, coming for him? Why or why not? Do you believe the veil between the living and the dead is lifted as a person passes from one life to the next?
2. Each child born of the spell from the Witch of Summer Glen has a special otherworldly ability or gift. With Hallie, her gift develops the longer she stays on the island. Do you think Hallie simply grew more aware of her innate talent, or did being on the island somehow change and enhance her abilities?
3. What is the significance of mirrors with respect to Hallie's ability to "see"?
4. Why couldn't Madlyn understand the danger the island posed to her young daughter Hallie? Was Madlyn a good mother?
5. Forgiveness is one of the themes in this novel. Who most needed to be able to forgive? Who most needed to be forgiven?
6. Have you ever seen a ghost? Do you know anyone who has? What are some of the best ghost stories you know?
|Additional discussion questions from: