Book Club Kits
Girls in White Dresses
by Close, Jennifer
Print this page
Email this list
1. Which character did you relate to most closely, and why?
2. Ambivalence --- toward jobs, men, apartments, and children --- is a recurring theme in Girls in White Dresses. Why do you think that is?
3. Several of the characters keep some pretty big secrets, such as the way Abby keeps her friends away from her hippy parents. How does this affect Abbys life? How do the books other secrets affect the characters?
4. Mary wonders why nobody warned her that during her first year as a lawyer, You will be constantly afraid. (page 120) What role does fear play in the womens lives?
5. Throughout the book, questions of identity pop up. For example, when a friend gets divorced and decides to keep her married name, Isabella thinks it may be because, Shes afraid no one will remember who she is. (page 249) How do these characters determine who they are? By the end, who seems to have created the strongest sense of self?
6. Where do you imagine Isabella, Mary, and Lauren will be in five years?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides