Book Club Kits
In the Deep Midwinter
by Clark, Robert
Print this page
Email this list
1. Secrets and silence are important themes in this novel. What motivates the characters to keep so many secrets from each other?
2. "In the Deep Midwinter" is set during the Cold War. How would this story have been different if it was set today? Would any issues be the same?
3. The title of this novel, "In the Deep Midwinter", echoes the Minnesota winter setting. What else about the story could this title represent?
4. "In the Deep Midwinter" is set in the 1950s, a time when gender roles for men and women were more clearly defined. How do these expectations shape each of the characters?
5. What role does Anna's abortion play in the story? How does she change because of this experience?
6. Religious imagery is prevalent in this story. What is the role of religion in the lives of the characters? How does it affect them?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides