Book Club Kits
No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
by McCall Smith, Alexander
Print this page
Email this list
1. Family life and African culture are very important to Mma Ramotswe. How do her descriptions and discussions of these areas provide insight into her character?
2. When Mma Ramotswe decides to become a detective, she purchases a manual to help her learn the business. The manual advises her to rely on hunches to solve her cases. How does this advice shape "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency"?
3. Many contemporary mystery and detective novels have a detective solving one major crime, usually a murder. How is "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" different from other mysteries you've read?
4. Early in her life Mma Ramotswe marries Note and the marriage ends badly. How does this experience impact her job as a detective? Does it give her insight into how others act and what might motivate them?
5. "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" features Mma Ramotswe, a female detective from Botswana. How does the author, whose life is very different from that of Mma Ramotswe's, capture her character?
6. "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" includes many detailed descriptions of African life, and especially features life in Mma Ramotswe's beloved Botswana. Were you familiar with what life might be like in Botswana before you read this novel?
7. Were you surprised by Mma Ramotswe's response to Mr. J L B Maketoni's proposal?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides