Book Club Kits
The Samurai's Garden
by Tsukiyama, Gail
Print this page
Email this list
1. The story is set on the eve of World War II. How do the broader world issues affect what happens in the story? Is this setting essential to "The Samurai's Garden," or could it have been set in another era?
2. What role does the garden serve in the story? How does it impact each of the characters?
3. Stephen is Chinese, and the story takes place in Japan. Did you sense a tension between his culture and that of the other characters?
4. Stephen is recovering from tuberculosis, and Sachi has leporsy. What role does illness, and healing, play in the story?
5. What did you think of Stephen's relationship with Keiko?
6. Who is the "Samurai" from the title of the book?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides