Book Club Kits
A Fine Balance
by Mistry, Rohinton
Print this page
Email this list
1. Ishvar and Om leave their village for life in the city. What makes them decide to make this change? How is life better in the city? What is more difficult?
2. How does Dina's situation reflect the role of women of her time, and of her social class? How does it compare to the place of American women during those same years?
3. India since Independence has struggled with ethnic and religious violence and upheaval. How do each of the characters face these issues?
4. What do you think about Beggarmaster? How does he impact the lives of the characters? Do you consider him to be a bad person?
5. Government policies and programs have a major impact on the lives of the characters? Which did you think were most difficult for the characters? Were any beneficial?
6. What is the "Fine Balance" that Mistry is referring to in the title?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides