home > bookspace > my comments > comment: days of magic, nights of war /

I adore this series. The illustrated version especially is fabulous. There's a lot of descriptions which get a reader bogged down, but the last 150 pages or so fly by. Can't wait to get my hands on the 3rd one!
posted Jun 12, 2012 at 2:48PM
this book was adorable. I started it over a year ago, and put it down. I'm kind of an OCD reader and it wasn't holding my attention at the time. I've since cycled back to a wanting to read about children in alternate scary&wonderful realities, and could not put it down.
posted Jun 12, 2012 at 2:48PM
I orignally read this book, the first in the Abarat series, years ago when it first came out. I read it a second time recently, as the third in the series came out in 2011, and enjoyed it just as much the first time. The plot may not be the best or the characters the most developed, but it is a fun fantasy/horror novel that would be interesting to any age.
posted Nov 12, 2011 at 12:01PM
I read the first two novals of this series when they first came out, and have been praying and hoping for when the next one would. Now it has, and I enjoyed it immensely. Although not the best book, it is so unique in its combination of horror, fantasy, and characters, its a must read for any book lover.
posted Nov 12, 2011 at 9:29AM
Being the second of the Abarat series, it starts off from where the last was left off. The ideas are incredible, but a bit recurring and the characters tend to blend together. I do look foward to reading to next book, though, and hope it is more defining of the characters.
posted Oct 8, 2011 at 1:11PM
babybat16 said:
This book I avoided for a while because the plot sounded really goofy, but once I started it, I couldn't stop. A great fantasy and yet haunting in some parts. A great book.
posted Jun 29, 2008 at 11:51AM
Raelene said:
This is the second book in the Abarat series. It continues the story of Candy in the Abarat. There is a lot of action and it is my favorite book in the series so far!
posted Jan 1, 2008 at 9:32PM
Raelene said:
Candy Quakenbush travels to another world called the Abarat. She meets all kinds of new people in the Abarat and has to run for her life from the evil Lord of Midnight. As she travels through Abarat, she has this feeling that she has been there before! It is a really good book and I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy/adventure books. The book has tons of beautiful color drawings by the author!
posted Jan 1, 2008 at 9:31PM
Starts out in MN and then takes a sharp left into a very darkly strange place. First in a series.
posted Jun 28, 2007 at 8:29AM
Jill said:
This is an awesome book. Its story line is amazing. The illustrations are out of this world and I could not put it down. This book will have you gripping the pages in anticipation. Check it out and watch in fascination as this book takes you on a journey into the farthest reaches of imagination.
posted Jun 5, 2006 at 7:15PM
Jill said:
posted Jun 5, 2006 at 7:15PM
Liz said:
It is the oddest book I've ever read. it's also one of my favorites! set on earth in modern day it's about a minnesotan girl Candy Quackenbush, who finds herself in a world similar and different to ours. The isles of the Abarat. each island is a diffrent our of the day, plus the thirtienth hour. this book has a complicated but easy to follow plot. I look forward to the next book!
Jillienne said:
This book is one of my all time favorites because it is so positively unique. It is so enchantingly rich in design that I just could not put this book down at all. It is about a girl named Candy who lives in Chickentown, Minnesota and leaves her boring life behind and gets transported to a place called Arabat. Where she runs from strange creatures, gets shown around the islands, and gets the journey of a lifetime. The only thing that made me mad in the book, was that it's only the first in the series and was a real cliffhanger.