home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the glass castle : a memoir /
The glass castle : a memoir
Jeannette Walls
Adult Nonfiction HV5132 .W35 2005

Comments  Summary  Contents  Excerpt  Reviews  Author Notes

Ted's Review said:
I read "Half Broke Horses" by the same author and liked it quite a bit. That book was billed as historical fiction. This book is supposed to be an audiobiograhy. Although it is well-written and engaging, it does seem as if Wells has stretched the truth. It’s like each chapter is trying to top the previous chapter’s claims of poverty and abuse. Did this stuff REALLY happen the way she claims? Could her parents really behaved the way she writes? For me, there seems to be a credibility issue which detracted from the overall book. I would rate this as an A minus if it was billed as a historical novel and a C plus if billed as an autobiography.
posted Feb 17, 2012 at 6:43PM
sr-reader said:
I found this book to be compelling. Plymouth67 has probably led a sheltered life and is simply not aware of what life is like growing up in the home of an alcoholic.
posted Mar 1, 2010 at 2:34PM
Amelia said:
Like Plymouth 67 said good fiction
posted Feb 28, 2010 at 7:15PM
AllieRose said:
A story that will have you in tears and in wonder continually.
posted Jan 22, 2010 at 10:07PM
SRSA said:
I highly recommend this book. Thought it was outstanding. I loved it. I agree that this book was gripping. I had a hard time putting it down and made everyone around me read it so we could talk about it. I’d give it A
posted Sep 29, 2009 at 11:27PM
Avatar for Minnetonka Library Staff Minnetonka Library Staff said:
A
posted Apr 13, 2009 at 3:30PM
Ellie L. said:
I thought this was interesting. My life is so much different than Jeanette’s, that at points it was hard to relate to. Although it was slightly depressing, you keep reading to find out what she does to become an author. Overall, I’d rate it a three and a half aout of five.
posted Oct 22, 2007 at 8:57PM
emh said:
I would skip this book. Kind of feels like a anyone could have written it.
posted Jul 11, 2007 at 12:48PM
Mika said:
i disagree that it is more fiction that relaity.. i truely believe that this is her true life story. i think this book was gripping and riveting and had me turning pages. =]]]
posted May 15, 2007 at 5:32PM
Plymouth67 said:
Well written but unfortunately it’s another ’Million Little Pieces". Supposedly a memoir, this book is definately more fiction than reality. No three year old remembers the detail she does and no adult child of abusive parents thinks their the best thing since sliced bread.
posted Apr 26, 2007 at 8:41AM
What a childhood! Although author Jeannette Walls had a very strange, difficult and odd childhood, her parents did love her in their own albeit selfish ways. You won’t be able to stop reading this one!
posted Jun 24, 2006 at 12:16PM