home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the looking glass wars /
The Looking Glass Wars
Frank Beddor
Teen Fiction BEDDOR

amoeba said:
A take on Alice in Wonderland, terrific concept, great twists on characters
posted Aug 23, 2010 at 11:38PM
Alrighty. Time to roll up my sleeves and give my blunt opinion. But then, am I ever known not to give blunt opinions? And if it's a real opinion, wouldn't it be blunt? nvm ANYHOW, even though it's an NYT best seller and confetti and yay for that, I found the style REALLY hard to get through and the characters weren't realistic. Seven-year-olds don't act like that. I should know, having a bazillion seven-year-olds in my house who are at this moment all clamoring for me to give them mack-and-cheese with BBQ sauce.
posted Jun 9, 2010 at 1:15PM
If you can imagine it, it's there! And if you're of royal blood. And if you get a moment to try imagining which could be hard since your aunt is currently trying to murder you.
posted May 25, 2010 at 6:31PM
It IS the real of story of Alyss( not Alice) in Wonderland. I’ve read it twice, going on thrice. Very great. =D
posted Nov 8, 2009 at 4:31PM
Lewis Carroll got it wrong. Alice was NOT a silly little girl who fell down a rabbit hole. Wonderland is a real place, and Alyss Heart is its rightful Queen. The problem is, she's trapped in Victorian England while her band of rebels tries to hold off the armies of her murderous Aunt Redd. This is no mere fantasy adventure; this is the true story of Alice in Wonderland, and a fractured fable that parallels our own real world.
posted May 18, 2009 at 1:10PM
OMGO! I loved this book! It was so good! I always thought that "Alice in Wonderland" was kinda wierd and creepy...but it's only wierd and creepy cuz Dodgeson ruined it!!! GO ALYSS!!! :D
posted Sep 30, 2008 at 8:45PM
dragonfly13 said:
The author came and told us about his writing and the book! It took me 2 days to read this book. The perfect book to give to anyone. The book is NOT cruddy or classic; it is the true story and it will capture any young (and old) readers. LONG LIVE ALYSS!!!
posted Mar 26, 2007 at 2:55PM
Jacob Moorhead said:
This is one of my favorite books I've read in a while. This book is a very well thought out twist on a classic book from 1865, Alice in Wonderland. But the author who wrote Alice in wonderland got the whole thing wrong, he even spelled her name wrong! It's Alyss not Alice! This book is also a story of Alyss Heart who has an evil aunt Redd trying to win the throne of wonderland. My favorite character is Hatter Madigan because he is very mysterious and cool. I strongly suggest anyone who likes adventure and action or fantasy to read this book.
posted Mar 24, 2007 at 9:50PM
mst3klover said:
This book has tons of cruddy classic cliches, don’t waste your time unlss you want to visualize the next bad teen fantasy movie like Eragon (the movie), and Terabithia (The movie). do not think twice. But the author did go to my school
posted Mar 7, 2007 at 1:35PM
Ange said:
Fabulous new take on the Alice in Wonderland story.
posted Feb 14, 2007 at 9:06PM

related book list

main characters Alyss Heart
Heiress
Heir to the throne of Wonderland; her vicious aunt murdes her parents; escapes through the looking glass to Victorian England; ends up in an orphanage; adopted and has her name changed to Alice Liddell; gets Charles to write her story; represses her memories of Wonderland as she grows to adulthood; hopes to return home.

Hatter Madigan
Alyss's bodyguard; searching for Alyss to bring her back to her kingdom.
Bodyguard

Redd
Evil
Alyss's aunt; murders Alyss's parents and steals the crown.

Charles Dodgson
Takes Alyss's tales of Wonderland and writes the novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
Writer