home > bookspace > my comments > comment: a clockwork orange /
A clockwork orange
Anthony Burgess
Adult Fiction BURGESS

Comments  Summary  Reviews  Author Notes

lonn0022 said:
Should I be ashamed that I gave up on the book after two chapters? Burgess’s concocted language distracted me too greatly from continuing. I admit, through this language and cloud of the reader’s misunderstanding, the gruesome acts are easier to digest as we understand not the full gravity of the deed. I’m putting it aside for the long-term future.
posted Mar 8, 2010 at 9:34AM
ravenofroses said:
brilliant and incredibly disturbing; probably one of the best books i have ever read...
posted Mar 24, 2008 at 2:03PM
Hedda Gabler said:
This book is interesting and feels like an accomplishment to have finished it because you decoded a bunch of slang.
posted Aug 21, 2007 at 1:37PM
Chaz said:
Very different from the movie, questions freedom versus security
posted Feb 21, 2007 at 9:42AM
Jen said:
Anthony Burgess's "A Clockwork Orange" was absolutely the most thought-provoking book I have ever read. Despite the extremely graphic description and content, I feel this book is not only merely appropriate for older teens, it's an essential read. This is the story of Alex, a boy whose dystopic future society has evolved in such a way as to allow the formation of several gangs of teenager boys commited to "ultra-violence." The ultra-violence is absolutely gruesomely described and very hard to read at first. This, however, allows the book to function at the level it does. The book centers around two key facts: that Alex leads one of these gangs, and that despite this, somehow, it is possible for the reader to feel sympathy for him. Alex is painted as commiting violence, but not being evil in any sense. All of this adds to the significance of the important questions posed by Burgess in the novel: What is the limit of human freedom? Should a human be allowed to choose bad over good, or should they not be given that choice? All in all, a very meaningful, intense read, an one I thoroughly recommend.
posted Jun 26, 2006 at 6:54PM
Jen said:
posted Jun 26, 2006 at 6:54PM
Kimmy said:
Intrestingly written, hard to get started with because of the Russian slang, but after a while you get used to it. I thought the book had a better ending than the movie, although the movie was much more creepy.