home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the mysterious benedict society /
The mysterious Benedict Society
Trenton Lee Stewart
Children's Fiction STEWART

Comments  Summary  Reviews  Author Notes

BibliomaniaGirl said:
I could read this anyplace any number of times! In a car, in a train, in a go cart, in a tree, 2 times, 36, or 1000 times! The way it’s written, with the undercover missions, and the different personalities of the characters really make you not want to put it down!!!!!!!!!
posted Aug 25, 2013 at 10:54AM
Best series ever!!! Very clever, funny, and all-around amazing!
posted Aug 24, 2013 at 1:26PM
jrtsmile said:
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good mystery.
posted Jul 6, 2013 at 4:00PM
Julia said:
My sister got this series for Christmas and I picked up this book. At first it was kind of slow moving and I wasn't really thrilled with it. But after the first few chapters it really picked up and then I could not put it down! I don't really remember much of it so I'm going to re-read it. I would really recommend it! It is not in the future though there are some futureyish things in it. Overall it was a great book and I really enjoyed it!
posted Jun 4, 2013 at 7:52PM
Julia said:
posted Jun 4, 2013 at 7:52PM
Good Book
posted Dec 15, 2012 at 10:15AM
Four impossible kids, a weird house, a set of tricky tests, a brainwashing academy, a narcoleptic good guy and his evil twin...what could be better on a rainy day?
posted Dec 4, 2012 at 7:44PM
Kayley said:
Every moment I read this book I kept wanting to read it. Every part of it was so action packed. If you like action books and an evil person mind controlling people to take over the world read The Mysterious Benedict Society
posted Jul 28, 2012 at 1:25PM
Elrock13 said:
One of my favorite books, hands down.
posted Jun 8, 2012 at 3:20PM
yoyo11 said:
This was a Long book for me. But I liked it anyway : )
posted Jul 2, 2011 at 8:51AM
Anna said:
"ARE YOU A GIFTED CHILD LOOKING FOR SPECIAL OPPORTUNITES?" A strange newspaper add led Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance to a series of strange test hosted by a mysterious man named Mr. Benedict. When they pass, they are sent on a mission which might mean the freedom of millions of people. The book is well-written, the characters are engaging, and the plot keeps one at the edge of one's seat throughout the whole book. Ideal for an audience 12 and older, although it might be enjoyed by a younger audience.
posted Jun 3, 2011 at 11:34AM
Anna said:
posted Jun 3, 2011 at 11:34AM
Caroline said:
This book is a mystery/action adventure and the main characters are Reynie, Kate, Constance, and Sticky. It is up to them to save the world from Mr. Curtain, an evil man who wants to take over the world with his device called The Whisperer. I recommend it!
posted Jun 3, 2011 at 8:29AM
Caroline said:
posted Jun 3, 2011 at 8:29AM
“Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?” This unusual newspaper ad catches the eye of an especially observant and inventive orphan named Reynie Muldoon. It also catches the eyes of ready-for-adventure Kate Wetherall, brainy and sensitive George “Sticky” Washington, and very contrary little Constance Contraire. The children pass a series of tests for the mind and spirit and are recruited by the philanthropic Mr. Benedict. Their mission: Infiltrate the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, a school run by the brilliant but dastardly Ledroptha Curtain. Mysterious messages are issuing forth from the school to brainwash the unsuspecting population, and Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance must combine their unique talents and skills to save the day. The reader follows clues and solves puzzles right along with the kids for a clever and interactive literary adventure. Like all worthy and wise orphans, Reynie and company pull together to outwit the villains and save the day. And like most orphans, their troubles are far from over—their unique capabilities are required in The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey and The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner’s Dilemma. And thank goodness for that, because few things are more fun than saving the day with the Mysterious Benedict Society.
posted Aug 17, 2010 at 11:39AM
laugh. dance. dream said:
This isn't a chick flick but a good mystery. It's the first to the series and I couldn't put it down. The other two in the series are listed below in order.
posted Jun 15, 2010 at 11:15AM
laugh. dance. dream said:
This isn't a chick flick but a god mystery. It's the first to the series and i couldn't put it down. the other two are listed below. in order.
posted Jun 15, 2010 at 11:13AM
cheeseeater said:
all 3 of them are super good! especially the ending of the 1st book!everyone should read these! :)
posted Apr 7, 2010 at 6:09PM
I dont want to tell you that much about this book because it is all a mystery. Read it for yourself!
posted Dec 24, 2009 at 12:36PM
This book was a good page turner and was never boring! On a scale from 1-10 i give it a 10 and I reccomend it to people ages 9 & up because it is a challenging read!
posted Dec 13, 2009 at 8:58AM
Snowflakey said:
This was a really good book! I can’t wait for the third one! Mr. Curtain is insane though. The second one is really good so you should read it if you haven’t already! ;)
posted Aug 31, 2009 at 6:09PM
Catherine said:
This was a wonderful book full of excitement and adventure. After a mysterious ad appears in the paper saying, "Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?" Reynie's life changes. He soon finds himself on a dangerous mission to save the world. This was a great book and I recommend it to all!
posted Aug 8, 2009 at 7:09PM
Catherine said:
posted Aug 8, 2009 at 7:09PM
beatrice said:
this is one of the best books i have ever read in my life. it expresses what children can do when they work together, even having entirely different talents.this book is equally heartfelt as hilarious!
posted Jun 26, 2009 at 12:49PM
beatrice said:
posted Jun 26, 2009 at 12:49PM
“Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?” This unusual newspaper ad catches the eye of an especially observant and inventive orphan named Reynie Muldoon. It also catches the eyes of ready-for-adventure Kate Wetherall, brainy and sensitive George “Sticky” Washington, and very contrary little Constance Contraire. The children pass a series of tests for the mind and spirit and are recruited by the philanthropic Mr. Benedict. Their mission: infiltrate the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, a school run by the brilliant but dastardly Ledroptha Curtain. Mysterious messages are issuing forth from the school to brainwash the unsuspecting population, and Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance need to combine their unique talents and skills to save the day. The reader gets to follow clues and solve puzzles right along with the kids for a reading experience that is interactive, exciting, and thoughtful. Reminiscent of Roald Dahl and Lemony Snicket’s stories of clever orphans, The Mysterious Benedict Society is as rich in real-life issues as it is in character detail, suspense, and surprises. The crew reunites in to sequels, The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (2008) and They Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (2009). The adventures and personalities of the kids are so delightful that we can only hope the Mysterious Benedict Society will meet again and again.
posted Jun 9, 2009 at 9:48AM
malrox said:
The Mysterious Benedict Society begins with Reynie finding an ad in the newspaper. He goes to the location described and takes a series of mind-bending tests. In the end, Reynie and three other children are chosen to go on a very important mission: to find out what a school on an island called Nomansan is hiding. The kids are informed of a machine called a whisperer that sends out messages through radio and television. It will eventually do something to hurt the world but they are unsure of what it will do. Mr. Benedict, the leader of the spy mission, will be helping the kids through the entire mission and communicating with them via morse code. In the end, Reynie and his friends, Constance, Kate, and Sticky disable the Whisperer and save the world from mass destruction.
posted Jun 1, 2009 at 5:09PM
I thought this book was great. Really very good. It has sequels too.
posted Mar 26, 2009 at 10:48PM
emma 01 said:
This is such an awesome book! It has mystery, it’s dramatic, it has everything a good book needs!
posted Mar 20, 2009 at 8:21PM
Mairead said:
This book is one of my favorite books I have ever read. Your eyes flash over the book like bullets, but after you're done, you could recite the whole book word for word. Renyie, Sticky, Kate and Constance go on amazing adventures and solve many problems I have no doubt few adults could ever think of. But these four can, and they only need to have a few papers signed and they're off to Nomanson Island- with a mission to defeat Mr. Curtain and save the world!
posted Jun 21, 2008 at 7:38PM
Books You Have To Read said:
This is about very smart people, epilepsy, puzzles, and life in general. The best realistic fiction ever. Thick.
posted May 23, 2008 at 5:04PM
mr.me said:
i really like it, bout i dont know how to finish the last puzzle.(i know the answer)
posted Mar 10, 2008 at 8:28PM
Singer101 said:
I too love the book but I have not finshed it yet I'm on page 131
posted Jan 30, 2008 at 3:16PM
Avatar for KidLinks librarians KidLinks librarians said:
Kids as heroes who save the world? Absolutely! Reynie, Sticky, Kate and Constance are the smartest and most resourceful children Mr. Benedict has ever found. And now he is sending them undercover to the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened. Somewhere at the Institute, the evil Mr. Curtain is perfecting a machine which uses televisions and radios to control our minds. The children’s mission is find out how Mr. Curtain is doing it and stop him before every person on earth comes under his control.
posted Dec 4, 2007 at 10:40AM
dancingfreak said:
I LOVE this book!!! My friend recommended it and I second that notion! It is an amazing mind puzzle that you can solve through out the book.
posted Oct 22, 2007 at 2:17PM