home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the absolutely true diary of a part-time indian /

AnneCP said:
2013 Selection for Everybody Reads (Multnomah County, OR)
posted Mar 27, 2013 at 2:20PM
jazzy2 said:
I loved this book. It was one of the most sad and funny books I have read in awhile. The end made me cry. I recommend this book to anyone who likes realistic fiction.
posted Jan 17, 2012 at 3:55PM
beth.luv said:
i love this book its so amazing i like how junior made his team in reardan win the game aganist his old school and how he never gave up on going to his new school he tried his best in fitting in with the other kids and i like that about him. its an amazing book and i love it so much
posted Sep 28, 2010 at 4:27PM
Tinkums said:
funny, swears a bit - teen boys lives
posted Nov 4, 2009 at 1:03AM
TheStarRunner said:
This book is super funny and has a lot of heart, but it is not a comedy. Sherman Alexie has such an amazing life story that he has put into many of his works such as this book and the short story ’Superman and Me’. He is a pretty awesome dude.
posted Aug 24, 2009 at 9:44PM
It’s tough being a handicapped bookworm who gets beat up at school every day and goes home to a poverty-stricken family on the Spokane Indian Reservation. But fourteen-year-old Junior makes it work with a sarcastic sense of humor and a penchant for drawing some very witty cartoons. Having a bear of a best friend like Rowdy who’s willing to come to your defense doesn’t hurt, either. But Junior is smart, talented, and he wants more. So he enrolls at the town school twenty miles away, where the only other Indian is the team mascot. Dodging and defying stereotypes at every turn, Junior finds himself with friends and enemies on both sides of the reservation border. Author Sherman Alexie—who, like his dorky hero, is a Spokane Indian born and raised on a reservation—pulls no punches when confronting issues of race and class. But Junior is a wishful, hopeful kid determined to find and hold his place in as many tribes and communities as it takes. Junior’s cartoons add visual flair and dark humor to a coming-of-age story that is certain to provoke thought and laughter in equal measure.
posted Jun 26, 2009 at 3:49PM
This is one of my favorite books.
posted Jun 6, 2009 at 9:45AM
I love how Alexie manages to mix humor with tragedy. I found myself laughing at the most inappropriate times! That’s his gift. Also, I enjoy getting a better sense of Native Americans in a modern context. Thankfully titles like these are becoming more available. I really like the
posted Jul 6, 2008 at 1:02PM
Some things in this book rang true, others not. I liked the insights into Indian culture, like the fact that Indians celebrate and even revere people with differences. However, the idea that Junior/Arnold transfers to a larger high school and almost immediately goes out with the prettiest girl in school and makes varsity basketball? I don’t think so. Neverthe less this book is entertaining and worthwhile.
posted Apr 21, 2008 at 10:25AM
Sitka Spruce said:
An enjoyable and quick book to read. Sometimes, though, I wish Alexie would have developed some scenes further (like junior’s relationship with his sister). I am 38-yrs-old and do not have any kids, but am curious if the subject matter in this book would be appropriate for a 9-12 year-old that already reads young adult literature.
posted Nov 2, 2007 at 12:24PM