home > bookspace > my comments > comment: gone with the wind.
Gone with the wind.
Margaret Mitchell
Adult Fiction MITCHEL

Scarbelline said:
I always cry when I hear the Tara’s Theme.. This book is truly an incredible piece of writing. I know a lot of people finish the book thinking Scarlett got exactly what she deserved, but I didn’t. I think Rhett was just as much to blame as Scarlett was. Therefore, I love this book. Read Wuthering Heights if you liked this; same basic romance theme.
posted Nov 8, 2009 at 5:34PM
Natalie said:
Gone with the Book tells the story of the well-to-do Scarlett O'Hara, a headstrong teenage girl, during the time of the Civil War. She is vivacious, flirtatious, with striking appearances, and a strong temper. A hasty marriage leads to disaster and Scarlett makes one bad choice after another. What will she do when she finally realizes her mistakes?
posted Jun 19, 2007 at 2:33PM
Natalie said:
posted Jun 19, 2007 at 2:33PM
Drive_Shaft said:
This is one of the best books I’ve ever read. I absoloutly love it. Rhett, I think, is even a more sympathetic caracter than Scarrlet, and oh! how awful the ending is(this is my expresion for wonderful books with wonderfully sad endings, it really isn’t acctually awful). I cry just thinking about it, especially when I think about Bonnie. It is long(862 pages in the version I have) so don’t take it up if you’re not going to stick to it, but you really should read it. I’d add one of my favortie qoutes, but there is just too many.
posted Jan 6, 2007 at 11:20AM
Ruth said:
Though the love story of Scarlet O'Hara and Rhett Butler is legendary, reading it for myself was amazing in itself. Forget the movie or anything you may have heard about it and read it for yourself. You'll be amazed that you had not read it yourself! Though it may seem long, it is full of memorable characters and there is never a dull moment. Don't miss it!
posted Oct 4, 2005
Katie said:
This book is a classic. Mitchell is very discriptive with her writing and the characters seem real. The love-hate relationship betwee Rhett and Scarlet is very intersting and the end is touching and causes you to wonder what happens next. I strongly recommend this book to a person who likes to read because it is really long. 1024 pages!
posted Jun 11, 2004
Rhonda said:
I loved the independence Scarlett O'Hara showed in this novel. During a time when women were only seen as shy, demure and helpless females, she was the one who showed women has minds and could do anything they wanted if they had courage and faith in themselves. It also helped me understand the emotional and social repercussions of the Civil War. It is a long book but a great read during the long summer days.

main characters Scarlett O'Hara
Southerner
Headstrong; narcissistic; determined to survive the hardship of the Civil War by picking cotton and rebuilding her father's Tara plantation, successful businesswoman who capitalizes on the struggle to rebuild the South; owns a saw mill; passionately in love with Ashley; married Melanie's brother who died in the war; married three times; lost Rhett due to her persistence to win Ashley over.
Plantation owner

Ashley Wilkes
Southerner
Honorable; handsome; chivalrous; becomes sad after the war; regrets not marrying Scarlett; committed to Southern tradition; represent the Old South; can't adjust to the postwar South.
Plantation owner

Melanie Hamilton Wilkes
Married

Rhett Butler
Wealthy
Thrown out of West Point and his aristocratic family; goes after what he wants; earns his fortune through gambling, wartime blockade-running, and food speculation; hated by southern aristocrats; nostalgic about the traditions of the Old South; opportunistic; joins the Confederate army; in love with Scarlett.