home > bookspace > my comments > comment: when you reach me /
When you reach me
Stead, Rebecca.
Children's Fiction STEAD

Kayley said:
Miranda and her friend, Sal have been friends for a long time. But when a mysterious kid comes along and punches Sal, they never talk to each other. Miranda tries to avoid some people like those boys who punched Sal and the laughing man. Then one day something very mysterious happens...
posted Mar 18, 2013 at 5:15PM
Joshitha said:
This book is about a girl named Mirinda. She gets 4 mysterious notes. I suggest you read it at least twice.
posted Aug 10, 2011 at 3:40PM
said:
This book is really interesting and the ending caught me totally by surprise! It's like a mystery book but better!
posted Jul 18, 2011 at 3:31PM
sal13 said:
It seems like nobody has read this book and everyone one should
posted Jul 6, 2011 at 8:41PM
said:
I super good read!i couldn’t put it down and the ending is totally unexpected! It left me satisfied afterwards! :)recomended!
posted Jun 25, 2011 at 8:27PM
This book taught me this: Anything is possible, even if it isn’t happening right then, I can happen someday, and I also learned that what you see is not what everyone sees. When you reach me is intelligent, heartwarming, and truthful, and when you meet all the characters and string the plot together you see a breath-taking book of truth. Five stars, Rebecca Stead, and please keep on writing like this.
posted Nov 7, 2010 at 7:28PM
In 1978 New York City, twelve-year-old Miranda’s favorite book is the science fiction class A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle. L’Engle’s book has similarities with Miranda’s life that make the story meaningful to this latch-key kid in the big city. Like its heroine, Miranda is a bookish student who seems to be on the outs with everyone else. Her best friend, neighbor boy Sal, won’t walk home with her anymore. Her upbeat but always-at-work mother is preoccupied with becoming a contestant on the TV game show The $20,000 Pyramid. The harmless homeless man, who frequently sleeps with his head under the mailbox, is making Miranda more and more uneasy. The new constant in Miranda’s life is arguing about the elements of time travel that occur in A Wrinkle in Time with nerdy-cool classmate Marcus—a boy who once inexplicably punched Sal in the gut. And then there’s the strange notes that appear asking for Miranda’s help, beginning with one that reads “I am coming to save your friend’s life, and my own.” The lives of Miranda’s friends, family, classmates, and neighbors may seem tangled into one of the knots that Miranda so likes to tie, but as our heroine picks up a clue here and relates a seemingly simple scene there, the threads of the story weave together into a flawless little mystery that packs a big wow of an ending. A quietly impressive story that lingers long after its last page has been turned, When You Reach Me won the prestigious 2010 Newbery Award for best children’s book.
posted Oct 28, 2010 at 5:28PM