home > bookspace > my comments > comment: small steps : the year i got polio /
Small steps : the year I got polio
Kehret, Peg.
Children's Fiction RC180 .K44 1996

Comments  Summary  Contents  Reviews

Mgan said:
this book is about a girl who gets polio an not just one kind of polio but three kinds of polio and w she gesthrough i and whatfriends she meets. I seggs this ok to eeryone beuase itssch a beautiful and nice storie
posted Mar 7, 2012 at 10:33PM
monserrat said:
this book is so inspaering.This was the first book that got my attention I have never liked reading but this book just tooled me read me, read me.So in my opinion I think that peg is an awesome writer.I am in 6th grade I am a G.A.T.E student in sunset elementary in San Ysidro and I say this book is fantastic.
posted Sep 4, 2010 at 11:44PM
Riley said:
It is sad in the beging then it gets funny. It is a true story and Peg has 3 tipes of polio!!!! I think you shoud read it!!!!
posted Mar 21, 2010 at 5:10PM
Riley said:
posted Mar 21, 2010 at 5:10PM
Avatar for KidLinks librarians KidLinks librarians said:
You’ll never forget this true story! Peg Kehret got polio when she was 10 years old, leaving her unable to walk. Peg needed to leave her family in southern Minnesota, and move to a special place in Minneapolis called The Sheltering Arms Hospital. There she lived with other children who were being treated for polio. Peg eventually recovered and grew up to become a children’s author. You won’t want to miss this wonderful story of her brave fight against polio.
posted May 6, 2008 at 2:47PM
maddie said:
This book is AMAZING!!! READ THIS BOOK. the cover may give you a wrong opinion, but this book is SUPER GOOD
posted Dec 31, 2007 at 4:22PM
maddie said:
posted Dec 31, 2007 at 4:22PM
JulieAnn said:
I stumbled on to this adolescent book by accident, but I’m glad I did! Peg Kehret writes about her life as a polio patient right here in Minneapolis. The local slant makes it even more appealing. It gives you a glimpse into the polio wards of University Hospital and a specialized polio hospital in existence at that time. An inspiring book for kids AND adults!
posted Oct 10, 2007 at 1:45PM
Bookluver said:
I absalutly adored this book!! I dont want to give anything away but if you are looking for a good book, you should really look into checking this one out! I couldn't put it down, it was like my eyes just kept on going over though wonderful, amazing words! I hope you cheak this out!:)
posted Sep 18, 2007 at 4:26PM
msnewspaper said:
This book not only told you how it was like but it told you how this person Peg Kehret lived throw this. The Author not only Went therw what she is writing she lived it. I can’t beleve she had three types of polio and when she was writing the book she got polio again. the Only part I didn’t like about this book was I didn’t say anything else about the little boy in her room at the big hospital. I would recommed this book to ages 11-13 that say they have the worst live ever and don’t think that others matter.
posted Feb 7, 2007 at 3:16PM
Tiffany said:
It's terrible how this little girl was unlucky to have 3 kinds of polio. This is a wonderful story and my teacher enjoyed this book!
posted Oct 19, 2006 at 7:31PM
Tiffany said:
posted Oct 19, 2006 at 7:31PM
Tim said:
I thought this book was very good because she really made you fell like you were there with her through the whole book. Also the topic polio was really a good choice because so many people had it but yet not many kids know what it was and what it did to your body. My favorit part about the book was how she discribed her life in the hospital with polio and how she would make you feel as if you were there with her watching her and celebrating and being unhappy to.
posted Jul 5, 2005 at 1:58PM
Jessica said:
I liked this book because it was true, very sad and easy to understand what she went though. Peg Kehret is my fav author. Look for more books by her.
posted Feb 10, 2005