home > bookspace > my comments > comment: among the hidden /
Among the hidden
Margaret Peterson Haddix
Children's Fiction HADDIX

Comments  Summary  Reviews  Author Notes

Hopkins Kids Book Club said:
We rated this 3.25 out of 5 stars. We thought the book was good but the ending was really sad and depressing.
posted Jul 10, 2013 at 3:24PM
minnesotakid1 said:
What happens when families are only allowed to have two children? Luke is a third child, no one knows he exists other that his parents and two brothers. When new houses are built near his house, he discovers another third child. The adventure continues when they try to change the law, knowing they could be killed at any time. I would recommend this book to anyone who needs a thrill or a good book. It is part of a series. I would give it 10 out of 10 stars!
posted Jun 9, 2013 at 1:08PM
writerbot1000 said:
This is the first book in a great series about families who aren’t allowed to have more then two children. As the adventure continues third children meet up with each other and try to survive the harsh conditions.
posted Jun 9, 2013 at 1:01PM
chera said:
im still reading it but so far he saw the little girl in the sports window. and frogo4 it never said they would kill the third child it said they would do something to the mothers if they had a third child!!! pay attention to ur books (not really trying to be smart allecy or anything)
posted Mar 30, 2012 at 1:21PM
carolynlovestoread27 said:
suspense and an easy excellent read
posted Nov 20, 2011 at 3:41PM
Megan said:
I loved this book because I was able to connect with it. This book is about a boy who has to go in hiding wich means he can't go outside. He cant even meet his other relatives because of the law they have in his community. If you have a third child you have to turn him in to be killed. If that was how it was in real life i could have some serious problems! I am the third child in my family!!! In this book, the author uses very discriptive words to help understand what the kid is going through. The suspense increases in every chapter making you hold your breath to see what happens next. This book is more of a fantasy book book but even has some drama. I love this book so much im going to start reading the second one!
posted Jun 5, 2011 at 3:14PM
Megan said:
posted Jun 5, 2011 at 3:14PM
This is the first book in the series. It has some interesting ideas in it. I like it because it shows one of the many ways the future may happen.
posted Jun 11, 2010 at 8:08PM
you have to read this book!!! it's about a boy in the future. in the future the author ( not really )writes what will happen ( not likley) they have population police killing third children because there is not enough food in the world. this boy has never even been outside where his 2 brothers have been. when he sneeks out when everyones gone he finds the neighbors house has one person who never leaves... another shadow child.
posted May 23, 2010 at 9:47AM
tymetz said:
It is a great series
posted Jan 31, 2010 at 7:47PM
It is sooooo suspenseful! I love it! I wonder what it would really be like to actually be hiding for your life...very interesting.
posted Aug 17, 2009 at 2:30PM
Booklover2 said:
Very mysterious and full of suspense. Great read for mystery lovers.
posted Jul 25, 2009 at 4:45PM
cheeseeater said:
this is a reallygood book for all peeps 8 and up. It is full of suspense and sad and scary and good parts.
posted Jul 5, 2009 at 2:24PM
As soon as i read 2 sentences about it, I knew I’d love it. i ’ve only read the first one, but i plan on reading the rest. They’re really cool.
posted May 17, 2009 at 8:20AM
loveyduffy123 said:
i love the series it ruxxs!!!!!!!!
posted Dec 6, 2008 at 2:57PM
Pearlyeon111 said:
its hard to explain in words..... this book is just great! Something about it is.... AWSOME!!!!!!!!
posted Oct 12, 2008 at 9:14AM
this is a very good book for kids to think about how thier life is now i have my little sister reading it
posted Sep 19, 2008 at 8:11PM
Hman said:
Ive read all tthe books. They were full of suspens and a instant page turner.
posted Aug 22, 2008 at 11:33AM
Remo said:
This book is about a boy named Luke Garner. In his country there is team the Government built. It is called the Population Police. The Population Police does not allow families to have more than two children. Third children must hide or if they are found they must die. For years Luke had been playing with his brothers, Matthew and Mark, in the woods. Then the Government cut of the trees and workers build houses for Barons (really rich people). Luke sneaks into the one closest to his home and meets Jen, another third child. Jen has tons of friends via the Internet and they are preparing a rally to free third children, but Luke was too scared to go. And a good thing he didn’t, because the Population Police just shot everyone! Now Luke is determined to make it up to Jen and free all third children. This is a really good book!
posted Jul 15, 2008 at 12:46PM
Avatar for KidLinks librarians KidLinks librarians said:
In the future, food has become so scarce that the U.S. government restricts parents to two children only. Luke is the third child in his family, and spends his whole life hiding in his family’s farmhouse. He’s hiding from the Population Police. When a housing development goes in nearby, Luke spends his days spying on the new houses. He discovers another house with a hidden child. Risking it all, he breaks into the house and finds Jen. Jen introduces Luke to an internet community of Shadow Children like himself. Jen is determined to take on the Population Police and free all other Shadow Children. Will Luke be brave enough to join her? Will he escape from his life of solitude and hiding? To find out, read the first in the Shadow Children series, "Among the Hidden."
posted Jan 31, 2008 at 11:52AM
TessieDalton said:
also read the rest of the series
posted Aug 7, 2007 at 9:33PM
Laura said:
I thought that this book was very well written. I couldnt put it down! I have read the rest of the books in that series as well as some of her other books that she has written. Even though this is a childrens book series i found it quite interesting and im 14. So i would recomend this book not only to children but to others as well.
posted Jul 3, 2007 at 10:22PM
Laura said:
posted Jul 3, 2007 at 10:22PM
Nathan said:
I liked this book because it has a lot of action, suspense, and excitment.I really enjoyed this book and I really want to read the rest of the series
posted Jun 15, 2007 at 11:19AM
Nathan said:
posted Jun 15, 2007 at 11:19AM
Sam Lagerstrom said:
I loved this book! It is very interesting and a fast read. I am now on the lasy shadow children book and they are the best series books I have ever read!!!
posted Mar 27, 2007 at 6:34PM
Laura said:
It is really good. I couldn't put it down, but the ending made me cry.
posted Mar 20, 2007 at 12:28PM
Laura said:
It is really good. I couldn't put it down, but the ending made me cry.
posted Mar 20, 2007 at 12:28PM
Laura said:
This book is about a world where families are only allowed two kids. Read about one kid that's a third-child and when he meets another third-child, his whole life changes. I think that if you like suspense and sad bookks, you should read this one.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Chloe said:
This book is the best book ever! It's the first in a series of books about a boy the has to be hidden because he's the 3rd born. Haddix grabs you right away in all the books! You should read it! [Sequels: Among the Imposters, Among the Betrayed, Among the Barons]
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Gilly said:
It was and GREAT book! It is about a boy who has lived his life in hiding, then he meets a girl who can show him a way to help other kids in hiding. Will he do it or will he stay in the comfort of hiding in his house? Read this book now.
posted Apr 17, 2005 at 6:07PM
Ashley said:
the book was really good and so was the whole series of the shadow children books
posted Oct 23, 2004
Daphne said:
This book is sad to read because the shadow children have no identity and freedom. I can't imagine how I would live if I must always stay hidden and cannot look out even one single window. I feel lucky that I don't live in that world.
posted Aug 13, 2004 at 4:42PM
Gaurav said:
This is a terrific book! 12 year old luke has been hiding all his life because of a Population Law. But when Luke finally finds a freind his life totaly changes. Find out how Luke's life changes by reading the book.
posted Jun 25, 2004 at 11:59AM