home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the perks of being a wallflower /
The perks of being a wallflower
Stephen Chbosky
Teen Fiction CHBOSKY

Comments  Summary  Excerpt  Reviews

KichiClovers said:
This is an amazing book, that takes you through a perspective that most people that normally don’t get to see. And most who know the perspective arn’t in a huge hurry to go out telling people about thier life. Which is what makes this book so interesting, and beautiful. As Charlie says, Diary entries are tracible. He is a mystery to the world, which is how Wallflowers thrive. I am overly happy to recomend this book to any Mature audience, about High school/College level.
posted Sep 27, 2011 at 6:59PM
Told by the perspective of a boy, Charlie, who struggles in fitting in since he's an introvert, and a wallflower. Talks about sex, rape, molestation, drugs, smoking, etc.
posted Jan 2, 2011 at 9:35PM
Mary said:
While this book was amusing enough to finish reading, it was a huge letdown. After hearing for so long that it would change my life, I was un-impressed by the story. Maybe I hit it at the wrong time in my life or maybe it isn't my scene, but I would not recommend this book to anyone.
posted Jun 24, 2009 at 1:37PM
Mary said:
posted Jun 24, 2009 at 1:37PM
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a young adult title that its publisher nearly placed in the adult fiction section. True, the book is a coming-of-age story that tells the story of an awkward high school boy, but then again, we’ve all been awkward high school boys in our day (well, you know what I mean). Charlie is sensitive, intelligent, and endearingly bewildered about life in general. He befriends an older group of students who appreciate and understand his oddities, but will they be there to keep Charlie grounded when he starts to lose control? Charlie pours his heart out in letters to an unidentified recipient, and as readers we are privy to all Charlie’s charms, foibles, and deep secrets. Like Holden Caulfield in The Catcher in the Rye or Scout Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird, Charlie is a kid telling an adult story, and his unique point of view will be universally appealing no matter how long ago or how gracefully you got through your own high school years.
posted May 18, 2009 at 1:28PM
I honesty loved this book, it was a amazing book. A real page turner. I can read it over and over again. And it’s sometime exciting. This author is a very good writer. I loveeee this book. Read it if you have a chance. :]
posted Feb 7, 2009 at 3:41PM
danni said:
I honestly could not put it down. It was such a great book and worded with excellence.
posted Nov 3, 2006 at 9:30AM
Mara said:
This is the best book I have ever read. It is so well written it is unbelievable. The writing is flowing and beautiful. The main character, Charlie, isn't your typical teen. He's a wallflower, that everyone can relate to. He shares his story by writing letters to a person he doesn't even know. He is very honest about his feelings and thoughts. Not only is the writing amazing, but so is the story. I've read this book 4 times and never get sick of it.
posted Aug 6, 2006 at 11:35AM
Mara said:
posted Aug 6, 2006 at 11:35AM
Thando said:
I really, really enjoyed this book because I think it offered such a different and unique perspective on growing up and finding your place, in a world you may not be used. I thought it was really nice how the author was so candid with the thoughts of his character, it made me feel as if the main character was someone I'd known my whole life. Overall a really good book!
posted Jul 2, 2006 at 2:10PM
Danielle said:
Charlie is a guy who is always in the shadows that no one ever notices but tends to work hard and get good grades. His Aunt died when he was younger and was really close to her. His life was turned around when this happened and after being in the hospital for months and intense treatment he ended up okay. Now Charlie is in high school and his life changes direction when he meets some seniors at a football game and becomes friends with them. They teach him more than he wished to ever know and pressure him into going all the way. Charlie's life goes through many ups and downs as you read the letters he writes to you. It's all about growing up and learning how to get through the good and bad times and what to do in different situations. This is a great book and i couldn't put it down because of it's story that keeps raging on about his school life to his home life to his love life.
posted Jul 8, 2005
Alex said:
An extraordinary novel of coming-of-age. The plot follows Charlie, a teenage introvert. Through a series of letters to an unnamed friend, Charlie describes his life, with brutal honesty, intensity, and love. As the book progresses, you fall in love with his character; everyone who has ever been insecure, made fun of, confused about the opposite sex (or sex in general), can relate to this vividly real boy. The novel is a genuine work of art that leads you on a journey to discover the perks and drawbacks of being a wallflower. With his novel, Chbosky shows a mastery of emotion and has cornered the market on love.
posted Oct 18, 2004
Jessica said:
VERY WELL WRITTEN It was about a teenage boy who found friends older than him.