home > bookspace > my comments > comment: james and the giant peach /
James and the giant peach
Roald Dahl
Children's Fiction DAHL

Comments  Summary  Reviews  Author Notes

Christina L said:
All the made up things were really cool.
posted Jun 18, 2013 at 9:27AM
Ashley said:
I like it because it is funny. They have fun adventures. The animals think James is smart.
posted Jun 20, 2011 at 10:44AM
Ashley said:
posted Jun 20, 2011 at 10:44AM
Avatar for becomethecatalyst becomethecatalyst said:
Creative and fascinating with a great beginning, middle & end!
posted Apr 7, 2011 at 11:22PM
James Henry Trotter is an very unfortunate orphan. When his parents are gobbled up by an escaped rhinoceros, James is sent to live with (and slave for) Aunt Spiker and Aunt Sponge. He chops wood and serves tea to his hideous aunts until he’s seven years old; then, à la Jack and the Bean Stalk, a mysterious old man gives the boy a bag of tiny green-glowing crystals and promises that if James mixes them up and drinks them down, he will be rewarded with magic and adventures galore. But poor James has no luck—in his excitement he trips and spills his magic crystals under the old peach tree in the yard. The result is an amazing large peach that grows overnight. The Aunts make a bundle showing off their giant peach (and making James clean up after the crowds who pay to see it). One night James, miserable as ever, finds a strange tunnel dug into the peach. In he crawls to meet a crew of magically enormous insects—grinning Centipede, dapper Grasshopper, motherly Ladybug, and all the rest. They welcome the boy with open arms, snip the stem of the peach, and James finally gets the fantastic adventure he was promised. Author Roald Dahl’s trademark sense of humor is in finest form in James and the Giant Peach—sometimes dark, sometimes whimsical, and always fabulously fun. The illustrations are part of the story’s charm; the first edition in 1961 featured elegant pen-and-ink drawings by Nancy Burkert. Quentin Blake’s energetic style is practically synonymous with the works of Roald Dahl and artist Lane Smith re-illustrated the book in a freshly quirky style for the 1996 release of an animated film version.
posted Aug 17, 2010 at 11:36AM
Ashley said:
I like this book because it was nothing like the other books that I'v read with all the lifesize insects. It was probly the best book ever!
posted May 15, 2007 at 1:42PM
Ashley said:
posted May 15, 2007 at 1:42PM
Ruby said:
I liked this book because it was funny and fictional.I think you should read this book. Go to the library and check it out. I would give this book four stars.
posted May 15, 2007 at 1:36PM
Ruby said:
posted May 15, 2007 at 1:36PM
Megan said:
This is one of the best books I have ever read. I really think people should read this book, because in most every chapter there are surprising details! This book was very hard to put down, and if you read this book I think it will be the same way for you! Megan 10, Baxter
posted May 15, 2007 at 1:33PM
Megan said:
posted May 15, 2007 at 1:33PM
Kelsey said:
it is the best book and moive i like it o lot i got the book from my brother i was so happy it is about a little kid that has no mom or dad but lives with the moms sisters but they are mean to him
posted Aug 16, 2006 at 3:33PM
Kelsey said:
posted Aug 16, 2006 at 3:33PM
Jessica said:
It's great!!!It's about a little boy named James Henry Trotter.He meets bugs in the giant peach.Went an adenture.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Alexandria said:
This was one of the most best books I read.The centipede had agood sense of humor.And James was a smart boy.
posted Nov 30, 2005 at 8:00PM
Martin said:
James and the Giant Peach is a great book. Full of tragedy, adventure and magic. It keeps the reader reading!
posted Dec 4, 2004 at 4:39PM
Victoria said:
It is about a boy named James. His parents are dead. And he has to live with his two mean Aunt's Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. Then a magical thing happend on the aunt's ancient peach tree a peach bloomed and grew and grew until it was the size of a van then it stopped the word spread and the whole town wanted to see it