home > bookspace > my comments > comment: coraline /
Coraline
Neil Gaiman
Children's Fiction GAIMAN

For a “lost-in-a-magical-realm” story, author Neil Gaiman is, hands down, the go-to guy. The more he writes, the more fantastic his fantasy worlds get. In Coraline, for example, a bored little girl wiles away the rainy day exploring the rambling house she’s just moved into with her preoccupied parents. One intriguing door opens onto a brick wall—a division built when the big house was converted into units. But one night, in true Chronicles of Narnia fashion, Coraline turns the knob and walks into a parallel world where everything in her dull life is mirrored with fantastic effect. The toys are better, the scrawny black cat that hangs around outside can talk, and Coraline’s “other” parents are kind and attentive and loving—even if their sewn-on black button eyes are decidedly creepy. Coraline chooses to go back to her own world, but in doing so she sets off a chain of events with dangerous consequences. Coraline’s real parents have disappeared, and only another venture into the not-quite-right realm of the “other mother” can bring them back. A distinct air of menace pervades this suspenseful children’s story, harking back to ghost stories and grim fairy tales of yore. Tapping into age-old fears and complimented by the dark, scratchy illustrations of David McKean, Coraline’s chills have thrilled readers of all ages. Winner of the Hugo, Nebula, and Bram Stoker Awards, the book has also been adapted into a sophisticated graphic novel (illustrated by P. Craig Russell) and a whimsical animated movie.
posted Sep 27, 2010 at 8:06PM
a definite thriller.
posted Sep 4, 2010 at 6:23PM
Reverdy01 said:
the movie is good but creepy
posted Jul 24, 2010 at 12:40PM
i havent read it y do u say tis scarey !!!;D***
posted Jun 2, 2010 at 7:41PM
I liked this book a lot. It was a creepy, scary thriller with surprises around every corner. If you read the book see the movie and stuff will start to make sense. I rate it 4 out of 5 stars and reccomend it for people 9-13 years old because some parts are mildly scary/creepy.
posted Oct 10, 2009 at 10:10PM
teamjacob97 said:
boring book but, kind os weird.
posted Oct 5, 2009 at 3:36PM
emma said:
it is kind of freaky and scary and funny
posted Jun 9, 2009 at 4:02PM
emma said:
it is kind of freaky and scary and funny
posted Jun 9, 2009 at 4:02PM
Not a good movie for little children. Please keep to ages 10 and over.
posted Mar 15, 2009 at 4:36PM
Allie said:
I think Coraline is a creapy yet thrilling classic. I like the creature she has to fight. I recommend this book to whoever likes weird fantasy.
posted Jan 21, 2009 at 6:19PM
Allie said:
posted Jan 21, 2009 at 6:19PM
Aryn said:
READ. I'm not sure I understood this one completely. Not my favorite of Gaiman's.
posted Oct 28, 2008 at 10:28AM
jokergrrl said:
This book was really good, and is especially good to read during Halloween or something. It’s creepy, and spooky too. I liked it a lot.
posted Oct 17, 2008 at 3:52PM
Avatar for KidLinks librarians KidLinks librarians said:
P. Craig Russell took Neil Gaiman’s creepy book called Coraline and made it into a super creepy graphic novel. When Coraline explores her new apartment, she discovers another world on the other side of a mysterious door. She must battle the evil
posted Sep 2, 2008 at 1:18PM
dancingfreak said:
This is such a creepy book, but it's so good. This disturbs me!
posted Oct 22, 2007 at 2:12PM
Mohammed said:
Great book! It full of excitement, scary, and entertainment all in one. You can not put book down once you start! I would recommend it to any teen reader whose looking for those hard to find good books!
posted Jul 12, 2007 at 11:18PM
Mohammed said:
posted Jul 12, 2007 at 11:18PM
teenfun101 said:
This was a great book! I loved it so much! I ended up reading it twice and then recommending it to everyone in the family.
posted Jul 5, 2007 at 8:01PM
This will make you afraid of rag dolls with button eyes.
posted Jun 7, 2007 at 4:31PM
Daphne said:
Coraline is a very fun and mysterious story. I would like to read it many times. You could probably be desperate to read all of it after you read the quotes on the back cover. I would recommand it to anyone who likes mysterious and adventurous stories.
posted Jun 16, 2005 at 8:56PM
Katie said:
it kept ypu on your toes and you wanted to keep reading.
posted Jun 14, 2005 at 6:34PM
Lindsey said:
Coraline is being marketed as a children's book, but don't let that stop you; this is one of the most engaging and well written books I've read in a while. It is about a girl who walks through a door that isn't supposed to be there into an interesting yet eerie world. It is very like her own; except the animals talk, the food tastes better, and of course there's her Other Mother . . .I'd like to reccomend you listen to the audio book as well. Mr. Gaiman's reading is fantastic, and the rat's song will haunt you.
Ema said:
This was a really great read. Coraline goes through a door in her house into another world where she has "other" parents and "other" neighbors.