home > bookspace > my comments > comment: abarat /
Abarat
Clive Barker
Teen Fiction BARKER

this book was adorable. I started it over a year ago, and put it down. I'm kind of an OCD reader and it wasn't holding my attention at the time. I've since cycled back to a wanting to read about children in alternate scary&wonderful realities, and could not put it down.
posted Jun 12, 2012 at 2:48PM
I orignally read this book, the first in the Abarat series, years ago when it first came out. I read it a second time recently, as the third in the series came out in 2011, and enjoyed it just as much the first time. The plot may not be the best or the characters the most developed, but it is a fun fantasy/horror novel that would be interesting to any age.
posted Nov 12, 2011 at 12:01PM
babybat16 said:
This book I avoided for a while because the plot sounded really goofy, but once I started it, I couldn't stop. A great fantasy and yet haunting in some parts. A great book.
posted Jun 29, 2008 at 11:51AM
Raelene said:
Candy Quakenbush travels to another world called the Abarat. She meets all kinds of new people in the Abarat and has to run for her life from the evil Lord of Midnight. As she travels through Abarat, she has this feeling that she has been there before! It is a really good book and I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy/adventure books. The book has tons of beautiful color drawings by the author!
posted Jan 1, 2008 at 9:31PM
Starts out in MN and then takes a sharp left into a very darkly strange place. First in a series.
posted Jun 28, 2007 at 8:29AM
Liz said:
It is the oddest book I've ever read. it's also one of my favorites! set on earth in modern day it's about a minnesotan girl Candy Quackenbush, who finds herself in a world similar and different to ours. The isles of the Abarat. each island is a diffrent our of the day, plus the thirtienth hour. this book has a complicated but easy to follow plot. I look forward to the next book!
Jillienne said:
This book is one of my all time favorites because it is so positively unique. It is so enchantingly rich in design that I just could not put this book down at all. It is about a girl named Candy who lives in Chickentown, Minnesota and leaves her boring life behind and gets transported to a place called Arabat. Where she runs from strange creatures, gets shown around the islands, and gets the journey of a lifetime. The only thing that made me mad in the book, was that it's only the first in the series and was a real cliffhanger.

main characters Candy Quackenbush
Bored
Lives in a small, boring town named Chickentown; father is an alcholic, her mother is always depressed; skipped out of school one dayand comes upon a creature with eight heads; travels with the creature to an archipelago where every island is a different hour of the day; discovers she has magical powers.
Student