home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the city of ember /
The city of Ember
Jeanne DuPrau
Children's Fiction DUPRAU

Favorite pretween book
posted Jan 28, 2014 at 9:04PM
A great read! I would recommend this book to people who like futuristic books.
posted Sep 5, 2013 at 11:20AM
olive2241 said:
This book is really good! It realyl makes you think when you read it. As I was reading it is was trying to think where they all might live and why they did certain things! I highly recommend this book.
posted Jun 9, 2013 at 11:47AM
minnesotakid1 said:
This book is AMAZING! My teacher read it to us a few years ago. It sounds kind of wierd at first but you quickly discover the deeper meaning. This book is the first and the series and is really good. I would recommend that you read this book and the whole series. I would give it a 10 out of 10! This book is great for anyone who needs a great book or is looking for an adventure to go on.
posted Jun 9, 2013 at 11:46AM
Chloe said:
The lights flicker, die, and come back on. What woould you do if you were 12 year old Lina Mayfleet or Doon Harrow? Would you stay with the people of Ember and explain everything and maybe even be put in Juvinile, or travel the river with Lina's sister and give them a message which explains everything. This book is exciting and thrilling explains adventures Lina and Doon go on.
posted Mar 26, 2013 at 8:02AM
Chloe said:
posted Mar 26, 2013 at 8:02AM
juliza said:
I personally thought that this book was excellent after the first half. DuPrau did not have a strong start, but the strong finish made up nicely for the weaker half.
posted Aug 10, 2012 at 1:42PM
Love this series as well!
posted Sep 18, 2011 at 7:33PM
jazzy2 said:
I really loved this book I highly recommend it. The the second book "The people of sparks" is good too.
posted Jul 29, 2011 at 10:58AM
Avatar for becomethecatalyst becomethecatalyst said:
Had to say I was expecting something different from this book and wasn't impressed.
posted Apr 7, 2011 at 9:17PM
hamburgers and me said:
Ember is losing its lights. The blackouts are happening more often and for longer periods of time. With the mysterious documents Lina found Poppy chewing on Lina, Poppy, and Doon must find the way out of Ember.
posted Dec 10, 2010 at 8:58PM
The city of Ember is the only light in a world of darkness. But now, more than two-hundred years after apocalyptic events destroyed the rest of the world, Ember is beginning to fail. Supplies are running low and power outages that plaque the city are becoming more frequent. Still, life goes on. On Assignment Day, the city’s twelve-year-olds leave school and accept their lifelong work assignments. For curious-as-a-cat Lina Mayfleet, this means becoming a Messenger, delivering notes and gaining access to every area of Ember. For stoic handyman Doon Harrow, this means keeping the centuries-old generator patched together in the Pipeworks far below the city. But Lina and Doon soon stumble across long-buried secrets. The city’s founding fathers never meant for their people to dwell in darkness forever. The instructions for escape have been lost by corrupt city officials, and now, with resources fading fast and the citizens’ anxiety rising high, it’s up to Lina and Doon to find the pieces of the puzzle and save their city—even if it means venturing into the pitch-dark void that stretches beyond the dimming streetlights. Author Jeanne DuPrau invents mechanics, politics, and mysteries for the city of Ember and readers will breathlessly go along for the ride as Lina and Doon bring surprising new truths to light.
posted Nov 23, 2010 at 7:50PM
I read this on a dark and stormy night while I was crouched in my burrow beneath the bare, flickering light bulb that strangely resembled the light bulb on the front cover of this book. I would have read it cover to cover without stopping, except for the fact that I had to change positions in my underground labyrinth every seven minutes for fear that the National Society for Pursuit and Persecution of Critics might find me and imprison me in a vat of strawberry marmalade.
posted Jun 10, 2010 at 5:05PM
This is an amzing book filled with suspense that will make you crazy! There are three other books so far in this series. This book is mainly about a girl named Lina and a boy named Doon who to to find a way out of this mysterious City. Things are strange and things get creepy, you will just have to wait and SeE!
posted Dec 24, 2009 at 12:21PM
Avatar for magical unicorn time magical unicorn time said:
this book is above all other books!!!!! the movie is awesome too same with the people of sparks!!!!!!!!!
posted Nov 25, 2008 at 1:05PM
maddie said:
This was a GREAT book. This is a thrilling book about two children, Lina and Doon, living in a city where the town is lit with flood lights, other wise, the city, and otherwise "elsewhere" is pitch dark. one day the lights begin to flicker, and all of a sudden there are black outs, and everyone is afraid that one day the lights will go out, and stay out. will Lina and Doon escape? find out in this AMAZING book!
posted Aug 20, 2008 at 6:40PM
maddie said:
posted Aug 20, 2008 at 6:40PM
fluffyfeline5 said:
I really enjoyed The City of Ember!!! I could not get my hands off it. It is the kind of book that is so good that it pulls you into the story and you feel like you are figuring out all the same things that Doon and Lina are. It was so cool! I couldn’t stop reading it! I can’t wait to read The People of Sparks, which is the next book in the series.
posted Apr 10, 2008 at 9:12AM
KitKat said:
I think that the city of Ember is so cool I like that there are just one plot!!Jean DuPru is a great athorI hope She makes more books I Love reading!!
posted Feb 5, 2008 at 9:21PM
djtopp3 said:
This is the best book I layed my hands on
posted Jan 27, 2008 at 7:02PM
3 I couldn't get into the book.
posted Aug 15, 2007 at 5:43PM
Stephanie said:
I thought it was a great book. It made you keep wanting to read more to see what happens next. It had amazing characters and a very fun adventure story.
posted Aug 6, 2007 at 9:10PM
Stephanie said:
posted Aug 6, 2007 at 9:10PM
Courtney said:
Review by Courtney Hallowell This is a book review of the book The City of Ember. I would highly recommend this book to any one who is into action, intensity, and naughty pranks pulled on people by these 12 year old kids who live in an exciting and dangerous city call Ember. Doon is a smart young boy who draws the job of messenger. But he is not satisfied with his job and he wants to be working underground in the dangerous pipe works where every once in a while a poor soul gets sucked into the water never to be heard from again. Linda however draws the job of pipe works. She desperately wanted the job of messenger. It is her dream to run about the city freely and explore every inch of Ember. Doon asks Linda to trade. He wants to be underground. Eagerly Linda trades. But everything in Ember is not all peachy, the lights of Ember are beginning to flicker and if they go out for good Ember is swallowed up by the inescapable darkness that lurks outside of Ember. That is also not their only problem. The endless supply of food in Ember is running out. The black outs are becoming longer and longer and Ember is almost near its end. Linda and Doon are working on a way to help the people and get them out of Ember before it is too late! Can they do it in time? Read this book to find out!
posted Mar 29, 2007 at 8:13PM
Courtney said:
posted Mar 29, 2007 at 8:13PM
lara said:
i think it was a good book because it is very exciting once you get into it sometimes you just dont want to stop.altough it gets off to a slow start.i also think i shows a good example of the lifeskill caring for friends.
posted Feb 20, 2007 at 4:15PM
lara said:
posted Feb 20, 2007 at 4:15PM
Kelsey said:
I couldn't set this book down. I don't want to spoil the book for you, so trust me when I say it is an amazing story. Please read it!!!
posted Aug 13, 2006 at 9:36PM
Kelsey said:
posted Aug 13, 2006 at 9:36PM
Andrew said:
It was sad when one of the characters grandma died.It is exciting and adventureous.Probably for ages 8-10.
posted Aug 7, 2006 at 12:22PM
Andrew said:
posted Aug 7, 2006 at 12:22PM
christian said:
the best book ive ever read...really suspentsful
posted Jul 20, 2006 at 12:45PM
Aly said:
I really liked the book because it was interesting and the auther used good discription. My favorite part was when Lina, Doon, and Poppy reached the new city.
posted Jul 20, 2006 at 9:03AM
Aly said:
posted Jul 20, 2006 at 9:03AM
Emma said:
It's a great book about Lina as she trys and sucsedes in saving her city. If you like aventure read this book!
posted Dec 3, 2005 at 9:05AM
Hannah said:
I thought they are great books. The author should make more like them. I love them a ton. I read it every night before bed and I got so tired so I couldn't read any more but I wanted to soooo bad because they leave it as a cliff hanger. They are one of my favorite books. I could read them over and over again. Thank you for writing them Jeanne DuPrau.
posted Jun 11, 2005 at 7:18PM
Libby said:
This was a very good book about two kids that are about twelve that are trying to save their city, Ember. The city is pitch black all the time if the floodlights aren't used, but every once and a while, the floodlights flicker and go out for minutes at a time. I highly recommend this book.
posted Aug 10, 2004