home > bookspace > my comments
Limit to:
Cover ArtThe darkest minds
by Bracken, Alexandra
Teen Fiction BRACKEN
OHMIGOSH THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO EXPLAIN HOW MUCH YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK. I'M DYING ON THE INSIDE, I NEED TO READ THE SEQUEL, I NEED TO BE OK. YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 17, 2014 at 11:51AM

Cover ArtBasil of Baker Street
Basil of Baker Street is a children’s book based on the Sherlock Holmes stories. Basil—a famous sleuth of mousedom--lives in the cellar of Sherlock Holmes' house. A great admirer of the Holmes, Basil has learned his craft by listening at the feet of Holmes himself. The Mystery of the Missing Twins was one of the strangest cases in Basil's career. He had only a few crumbs of clues with which to find solutions to such baffling questions as: Who had masterminded the plot? Where were the twins, Angela and Agatha, being kept? Using the deductive reasoning he has learned from Holmes he is able to solve the mystery just in time. A great book for those that want to introduce a young child to Holmes—fun and easy read. Illustration were also quite nice. A 3.5 stars out of 5.
posted by Marsap on Sep 17, 2014 at 11:43AM

Cover ArtThe fall of the house of Usher.
by Poe, Edgar Allan, 1809-1849
Adult Nonfiction PS2614.A2C3
"The Fall of the House of Usher" recounts the terrible events that befall the last remaining members of the once-illustrious Usher clan—narrated by the boyhood friend of Roderick Usher. It is a gothic horror story and a great example of how an author such as Poe gets straight to the point. It is a quick read—but the fear and the horror grow with sentence. A 4 out of 5 stars.
posted by Marsap on Sep 17, 2014 at 11:22AM

Cover ArtThe mysterious Benedict Society
by Trenton Lee Stewart
Children's Fiction STEWART
This is one of my favorite children books, from the first time I read it shorter after it had come out. The characters are young, but surprisingly intelligent and quirky. The plot is unique, but it is the friendship that the protagonists make that truly makes this book shine. I highly recommend it.
posted by A.E.C.M. on Sep 16, 2014 at 11:59AM

Cover ArtEnclave
by Aguirre, Ann
Teen Fiction AGUIRRE
This book condones the rape of one of it’s characters and blames the victim for the attack. I don’t care for the messages it instills, not to mention the whole thing is so poorly written it makes Twilight look like fine Literature.
posted by DistractedReader on Sep 15, 2014 at 6:08PM

Cover ArtThe iron queen
by Julie Kagawa
Teen Fiction KAGAWA
Just finished this book and honestly I’m soo happy I only have to read one more book in this series!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 13, 2014 at 5:25PM

Cover ArtPandemonium
by Lauren Oliver
Teen Fiction OLIVER
Pandemonium is the sequel to Delirium and it was so much better! It was a lot faster paced and was so exciting to read! Can’t wait to read the third book: Requiem!!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 13, 2014 at 5:25PM

Cover ArtDogtooth [videorecording] = Kynodontas
Absolutely wonderful.
posted by Shakes on Sep 3, 2014 at 12:01PM

Cover ArtThe book thief
by Zusak, Markus.
Teen Fiction ZUSAK
This book was really, really good. It was one of the best historical fiction I have ever read.
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 5:01PM

Cover ArtSince you've been gone
by Matson, Morgan
Teen Fiction MATSON
This was a really good book about friendship, getting over your fears, and falling in love.
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 5:00PM

Cover ArtThese broken stars
by Kaufman, Amie
Teen Fiction KAUFMAN
This is a book about two people who get stranded on a planet after their space-cruise-ship-thing crashes. It's a really great book and I'm so excited for the sequel!!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 5:00PM

Cover ArtIf I stay
by Forman, Gayle.
Teen Fiction FORMAN
If I Stay was AMAZING. I read it in less than a day I was just so into it. It was sad, and happy, and just plain emotional. I highly suggest you pick this up.
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:58PM

Cover ArtDeep blue
by Donnelly, Jennifer
Teen Fiction DONNELL
This was a good book, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a mermaid fan.
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:57PM

Cover ArtNever too late
by Destiny, A.
Teen Fiction DESTINY
This was such a cute book!!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:56PM

Cover ArtThe truth about forever
by Dessen, Sarah
Teen Fiction DESSEN
I have read Sarah Dessen before, but I think this is my favortie book of hers that I've read so far!! It was really good and the characters and the story were just so wonderful. It was so easy to get hooked on this book and I would definitely recommend it!
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:56PM

Cover ArtThe boy in the striped pajamas : a fable
by Boyne, John, 1971-
Teen Fiction BOYNE
This was a really good book about a German boy who lives by a concentration camp and meets a boy through the fence. It is sad though.
posted by booklion246 on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:54PM

Cover ArtBring up the bodies : a novel
by Mantel, Hilary, 1952-
Adult Fiction MANTEL
The sequel to Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, Bring Up the Bodies explores the marriage and downfall of Anne Boleyn, and the role that Thomas Cromwell played in it. No love is lost between Anne and Cromwell. Each has an agenda to please the King. They become pitted against each other, as Cromwell seeks to find a legitimate excuse to expel her from the King's court. Cromwell, always the master politician, uses Anne's fall from grace as a chance to settle scores with old enemies. In addition, there is the quiet and demure Jane Seymour, who has now caught the King’s eye. The politics of the English court come vividly to life in this sequel. I found that the first part of the book was a bit slow (similar to my reaction to Wolf Hall), and it was difficult to keep all the characters straight, but in the end I found it a fascinating look at a chaotic time in history. One other difficulty I had was the almost stream-of-consciousness style the Mantel uses for the portions of the Cromwell narration. She does puts us inside Cromwell's legal mind, always strategizing, always remembering his butcher's son status among the gentry—but at times I found it difficult to always tell who and what was being discussed. All in all a good read. 4 out of 5 stars.
posted by Marsap on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:03PM

Cover ArtWindigo Island : a novel
by Krueger, William Kent.
Adult Fiction KRUEGER
Some members of the O’Connor family take a back seat in this book but nothing is lost. A very good book about native girls being trafficked in Duluth and North Dakota. Cork, Jenny, Henry and some family members of a missing girl investigate. Cork, still reeling from family tragedies in Tamarack County vows to save the girl at any cost, but a high price is paid by Jenny instead.
posted by Laura P. on Sep 2, 2014 at 9:06AM

Cover ArtThe weight of blood : a novel
by Laura McHugh
Adult Fiction MCHUGH
A good book taking place in the Ozarks with some of the characters fitting the "hillbilly" stereotype to a T. 17-year-old Lucy, whose mother disappeared when she was an infant, decides to investigate the recent death of her friend and ends up also figuring out what happened to her mother. The reviews of this book are glowing and I liked it but was not blown away by it.
posted by Laura P. on Sep 2, 2014 at 8:53AM

Cover ArtEverything I never told you
by Ng, Celeste
Adult Fiction NG
Marilyn, a brilliant student, plans to become a doctor. She marries instead, telling herself she will go back to school later. She leaves her husband and two small children and goes back to school but gives up her dream after discovering she is pregnant again. She then decides to make her oldest daughter in her image. Lydia has promised herself that she will comply with all of her mother’s wishes so that her mother will not leave again. Lydia’s father, James has also tried to make Lydia succeed where he himself failed in having friends and being popular. Besides Lydia there is Nathan, an academic success who nevertheless reminds his father too much of himself. And Hannah, the third, totally ignored child. When it all becomes too much for Lydia the whole family is nearly destroyed. A tragic story of a family who does not communicate. Absolutely absorbing, I inhaled it in a single afternoon.
posted by Laura P. on Sep 2, 2014 at 8:44AM